Friday, September 21, 2012

Chapter Three

            After reading just the first line of Precious, I could tell I was in for a culture shock. Based in Harlem, only a six hour car ride from where I live, it is upsetting to me that people’s lives in America can be so drastically different from my own, so much so that they are barely recognizable. This book is offering me fresh insight into the thought processes of others, specifically Precious.
            As I read, I wonder why Farrakhan is brought up so much. Precious seems to agree with whatever Farrakhan says, so I did some minor research on his character.
http://www.adl.org/special_reports/farrakhan_own_words2/farrakhan_own_words.asp If he is racist towards whites, Jews, and homosexuals, why does Precious look up to him? Reading chapter three, this question is in the back of my mind.
            Precious is African American, illiterate, and overweight, but apparently she harbors some racist beliefs of her own. When the possibility of moving to Queens is brought up, Precious says, “What I know about Queens?! They got Arabs, Koreans, Jews, and Jamaicans- all kinda shit me and Abdul don’t need to be bothered with” (79). Precious harbors some prejudice naturally, stemming from both Farrakhan and her mother. Her mother feels especially negative towards white people. They represent the higher educated people in society, and for individuals like her, they seem to cause nothing but trouble.
            While Precious may occasionally make a comment that may paint her as racist, I, as the reader, know that she is extremely kind-hearted. When it comes to white people, Precious admits that she thinks they are nice. She feels like a social inferior to them, however. On page 87 she asks herself, “Why I not born a light-skin dream?”, as if this would solve all of her troubles. Precious associates color with social standing, which is apparent when she discusses the skin colors of her fellow classmates. According to Precious, Consuelo is “bent outta shape ‘cause she darker like nigger instead of white” (95).
            As a white individual, it is very eye-opening to hear Precious talking about skin color in a manner that I have never had to think about. This chapter does mark a turning point for Precious. She takes responsibility for her life, and becomes independent from her mother. It is my hope that she will also separate herself from Farrakhan’s views, and begin to think on her own. I believe this starts to happen on page 81, when she finds out that Ms. Rain is a homosexual. Precious says, “I was shocked as shit. Then I jus’ shut up.” According to Farrakhan, Precious should dislike Ms. Rain for being homosexual, which forces Precious to question him for the first time.
            To my dismay, Precious brings up Farrakhan once again at the closing of the chapter. Why hasn’t she given up on his views yet? Precious then answers my question, and says that he  “help me like being black” (96). I decide that it is better for Precious to believe in something, as opposed to nothing.


Amanda

3 comments:

  1. Amanda, the part that stuck out to me from your post was when you talked about Precious' views on different races or "colors". I agree with the fact that skin color seems to play a big role in the way Precious thinks and acts. I think she is the product of her environment in this case. She grew up believing that because she is black, she is inferior. She knows she lives differently from the light skin, beautiful actresses she dreams about. I had the same question with Farrakhan. I wonder if this will become an issue with Ms Rain.
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda, I really agree with what you wrote so far. I think that there is some stereotypes with Farrakhan’s writing when he refers to Precious and her mother. I think that he makes Precious and her mother speak uneducated but as you get to the characters who are of a lighter skin tone, they speak with more sophistication.
    -Alex L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,you raised and answered many of the same questions I had while reading this chapter. Particularly when you talked about how precious harbors racist thoughts whithout knowing it. It seems that Precious is a product of her enviorment, being raised around a "mother" who teaches her child through her actions and words. Also the last part when you say "I decide that it is better for Precious to believe in something, as opposed to nothing." is such a good way to end your post because it finally sheds a small light of hope onto Precious's life. Do you think her views might get in the way of her learnings?

    -Shane W

    ReplyDelete