Friday, December 7, 2012

Reaction of Into Thin Air

I am writing this blog post as a reaction to the personal recollection by author John Krakaeur of a disasterous event that took place on Mount Everest. I am more so reflecting the desire, pride, and grit of the individuals that took to this extreme endeavor. Of course, as we now know, it turned out to be one of the worst things to ever occur on Mount Everest. But, when the set off on this excursion led by the legendary mountain climber Rob Hall, they all had the same goal. To succesful climb to the summit and back of the tallest mountain in the entire world. This is a lot easier said than done. Hours upon hours of training and preparation go into this kind of trip, and this is something that these people all felt they could accomplish. Before I ever read this book I never thought too much on how difficult, life threatning, scary, and intimidating climbing these mountains are but after reading this book and watching the movie, Filling the Void, I learned these people who set out to do this are the real deal to say the least. They risk everything, losing there family, their life, their limbs, anything. All for the accomplishment to say that they conquered something that most people only see on TV. Something that most people don't even dream to set out and climb these extreme mountains. These are a rare breed of people who are willing to risk everything to accomplish what they feel is life consuming the amount of time and thought they think about it.

Nick

3 comments:

  1. I like your reflection on the book and movie Nick, I have almost the same feelings as you. It is quite amazing how these climbers risk everything for that gratification of conquering something that seems unattainable to most. I seem to have some sympathy for them because climbing has always been something that has interested me, I live for that sense of accomplishment like most of these climbers, maybe not as extreme, but my nature is that of a competitive one. While most people find it crazy to do what these people have done it seems like a thrilling experience to me even if my life is at risk. Of course I could never leave my wife and kid to pursue such a risky adventure like Rob Hall did, but in my earlier stages of life climbing some of these mountains would be a serious adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, I agree with you when you say that climbers "risk everything". Although there has been criticism that climbing Mount Everest has become too commercialized and that anybody can do it as long as they have the money, after reading the book I totally disagree with this. It definitely takes a certain type of person to be willing to risk everything. I know this because someone could offer to PAY me $65,000 to climb Mount Everest and I would never say yes. I respect individuals who choose to climb, but I'm glad that Shane said that he would be unwilling to leave his wife and children behind. With all of the risk associated with climbing Mount Everest, it is a slightly selfish decision to make. Krakauer mentions in the book that climbing almost consumes you, and this is very evident to me.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of you guys that this book along with Touching the Void, gave me a whole new respect for mountaineering. Unlike you Amanda, I would love to climb Everest (with Shane if he's up for it), even after reading about the tragedies from 1996. I think this is the ultimate experience of nature and pushing boundaries. The "title" that Ms. H gave to our class is basically summed up by this book and movie. It's amazing the things that humans can do, and I think living on the edge of live and death, is the ultimate way to live life to it's fullest. I think Touching the Void was even more incredible. Those men must live every day of their lives with a whole new outlook. Although I would never want to be in their situation, I envy the perspective they gained from that experience.

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete