Thursday, October 4, 2012

"Common Scents"


            In high school, I had to read the graphic novel Persepolis for an English class. This reading style was very different than what I was accustomed to, so it took me quite some time to get into the book. However, once I got used to reading graphic novels, I actually enjoyed the book a lot. I think this is a fun and different way to tell stories, which is why I was happy to see a few graphic essay readings for this class.
            The graphic essay that most interested me was “Common Scents” by Lynda Barry. The essence of this piece is that every household has a unique smell. Your own scent is familiar to you, so oftentimes your own house is the one that you cannot smell. The narrator describes this by saying, “Of course the biggest mystery of all was my own house. I couldn’t smell it at all. I didn’t think it had a smell” (104). To me, this rings very true. I can remember one day in middle school when a group of my friends somehow brought up how they all thought my house and my clothing smelled great. This was news to me, because even as I sniffed my shirt I could smell nothing. Their houses, on the other hand, I knew to have very distinct smells.
            The narrator of “Common Scents” also discusses the households that attempt to use air fresheners to cover up odors. According to her grandmother, “It is not God’s way” (106). In the essay, trying to disguise a house’s naturally occurring scent is unnatural. Barry is very comedic when she describes the results of mixing these smells, and some examples include “cherry pop-up fried liver” and “tropical passion aroma therapy cat box” (107).
            While some people try to disguise the smells of their houses, the narrator loves the scent of her house. She says, “Our house smelled like grease and fish and cigs…And if they could get that into a spray can, I’d buy it” (107). The smell your house should be something to be proud of, and it cannot be bought. This scent is that makes the narrator’s house her home.

-Amanda

4 comments:

  1. I agree with how you said reading graphic novels is an interesting way to see the story. It adds a whole new element to the story and you can almost see exactly what the author is picturing when she writes it. I also agree that the story teller takes a lot of pride in the way her house smells. She doesn't want to use an aresol product to cover up the smell, she embraces it, and basically says she would invent a product so that it always smells like that.
    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I agree with your opinion on graphic novels. Sometimes you read a book and have a distinct picture in your head of what's going on. Sometimes this isn't the picture the author intended and you don't get the full extent of the message. With a graphic novel you can see in pictures exactly the way the author thinks. This story helped me make a connection to home as well. I can relate to that home smell, where your senses seem to realize this is a comfortable place to be.
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda your Graphic novel connection was spot on. I also found it interesting that people and houses have their own scents which i can smell. I also think that the author is trying to make a connection to be proud of who your are and what you have and using scents as a metaphor.
    -Alex L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the cool features for me about the graphic novels are how different they are as oppose to a normal book. One thing that I thought was interesting about the pieces that we read was how different each one was. Common Scents was very crudely drawn and used many more words than that of Prisoner on a Hell Planet. This pride in ones house smell is not synonymous to that of most white families. Spray cans were invited to deodorize ones house and the market for them is mainly that of Caucasian buyers. It shows how different races aren't trying to impress anyone with a "fresh" house, they would rather be happy with a house that they enjoy.

    ReplyDelete